NHS Trust fined after exposing patients to legionella risk

Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust has been fined £300,000 after failing to control the risk to patients from exposure to legionella bacteria in its water systems.

This follows an investigation of a death in the hospital Bristol Crown Court heard how, in July 2015, Mr Terence Brooks, a 68-year-old patient at Bath’s Royal United Hospital, died from legionnaires’ disease. The HSE found that the  Trust had failed to put in place all of the necessary precautions to minimise the risk to patients in the annex to the William Budd ward from exposure to legionella.

Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust fined £300,000 and ordered to pay costs of £37,451.78.

More

Resident dies in care home blaze- Chingford

A resident has died after a fire broke out at a home for people with learning disabilities.

The building contains two supported living services, Connington Court and Connington House.

The two homes, both run by Sequence Care Group, catered for adults with learning disabilities who may also have autism, complex needs or behaviors that challenge services.

Details

Southern Health NHS Trust fined – deaths of two patients

Southern Health NHS Trust has been fined £2m after a series of management failings led to the deaths of two vulnerable patients at different facilities owned by the Trust.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution follows the deaths of 45-year-old Teresa Colvin at a Southampton Mental Health Hospital and the death of 18-year-old Connor Sparrowhawk at a specialist unit in Oxford. Both centres were under the management of Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.

For the breach relating to Teresa Colvin, the sentence was a £950,000 fine.
For the breach relating to Connor Sparrowhawk’s death, the sentence was a fine of £1,050.000

More HSE

More BBC

Hazards of vanity mirrors after care home blaze.

Fire chief warns about the hazards of vanity mirrors after care home blaze.


Staffordshire FRS has issued a warning about the dangers of make-up and vanity mirrors when placed in direct sunlight, after a fire broke out at Nethermoor House care home in Rugeley, Staffordshire.
The cause of the fire was direct sunlight shining onto a make-up mirror, which then set light to nearby curtains.
More

 

Home & manager fined – window fall death.

Felixstowe nursing home and manager fined following man’s window fall death.

Highcliffe House a Felixstowe nursing home and its manager have been prosecuted  for failing to properly care for a man who fell to his death from a second floor
window .which had no window restrictors
The company and its manager, had admitted health and social care breaches before their sentencing.

The firm was fined £16,500, while the Manager was fined £1,000.
More details

 

Care home firm – cellar death near Oswestry

An 83yr old resident, suffered a fatal head injury when he fell down the brick-built flight of stairs at  The Court nursing and residential home in West Felton.

Akari Care, which ran the care home, denied two allegations of breaching health and safety regulations.

The court heard a keypad was used to access the cellar and the door was fitted with a self-closing mechanism, but investigations found it did not always shut properly.

The company was fined  £120,000 and ordered the firm to pay £41,997.48 costs.